Saturday, March 24, 2012

Painting The Face Of The Great Human Race

Well as much grumbling and griping as I did about this event (due to a miscommunication with my dad, I thought I was going to a freaky Beaver Queen Pageant in a a shady park, instead of a jogging event in parking lot at NorthGate Mall) kids ARE kids, and they seemed vividly drawn to my crittur pitchurs none the less, making it as rewarding time as any. I also had some very enthusiastic booth mates, who rolled up their sleeves, and jumped right in, getting their tattoos, which they seemed to cherish.
I wound up (as usual), with a long line of patiently waiting kids, long after the rest of the festival had cleared out.

As it turned out, it was actually a pretty cool event (much larger than I had comprehended), called the Great Human Race, which I think raised quite a lot of money for such worthy causes as The Humane Society, Dogs off Chains, and of course, The Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association!





Hopefully, some parents spent some time at the Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association booth, and will keep us in mind for sponsorship next year!





Besides my crittur pitchurs, there were a few other key items on display, to help visitors recognize the natural assets that the creek provides. One was a beaver pelt, provided by yours truly (with key supportive sponsorship of the tanning stage from my Dad, Steve). You can follow this Beaver's Tale, by click this link.
 Another attraction was this beautiful display of native flowers which can be found along the banks or Ellerbe Creek, assembled and constructed by the lovely Cynthy.


I did paint one non-native critter today- a tiger. I made an exception, because the little girl (and her Mom) already had their 'tiger ears' on, and they there to raise money for the Carnivore Preservation Trust in  GPittsboro. That kid looked pretty fierce when she left my table!

(Hopefully my booth mates will send me their photo of the progress, will post).






No comments:

Post a Comment